Not everything has to be stored to the cloud, on your phone, or on your computer. Being paperless is not the hottest thing on the market, despite it working well for some people.
The easiest way to organize business cards and phone numbers is just like a phone book!
You could organize everything by the ABCs, but I have 4 sections I recommend organizing your business cards and contact info into.
Section 1: People’s names get organized alphabetically.
- Your friends, family, colleagues, aquaintances
- XYZ Group contact info: a list of several people’s contact info for groups like, Painting with A Twist Buddies, Book Club Peeps (what happens at book club, stays at book club, okay???), Bible Study Group, Yoga with G-Friends night, etc.
Section 2: Current Service Providers
- If you have a large number of contacts, then separate your current service providers into their own category for faster retrieval.
Section 3: Companies get organized by category first, then alphabetically.
- University Contact Info; Technical Institute Info; etc.
- Graduate Program Contact Info
- Professors Contact Info
- Specialized Training Instructors Contact Info
Home & Garden or Home & Lawn (or HOME as a category & LAWN in another categor; Or INTERIOR in one section and EXTERIOR in another – whatever wording makes sense for you, use it!)
- Interior Decorator
- Landscaping Company
- Pressure Washing/Power Washing
- Professional Organizer
- Remodeling Contractor
- Window Cleaning
- Credit Card Companies
- Investment Companies
- Loan Companies
Personal Health & Well-Being
- Cooking Lessons
- Life Coach/Career Coach
- Pilates Instructor
- Yoga Studio
- General Practitioners
- Specialty Doctors
Section 4: Business Contacts: If you have a business, then you can have a completely separate system to organize your contacts, but it will work the same way: Clients get alphabetized. Current business service providers get a category – especially if you have a large amount of business contacts. The rest get categorized by type of service/product provided: then alphabetized.
- Home Improvement Event (group all the people’s cards you want to keep; toss the rest)
- Women’s Conference (group all these ladies & gents’ cards together; toss the ones you don’t want)
- Contact info of businesses or people you shop with to provide materials, supplies, and accessories you need for customers, charity events, galas, or personal use.
Okay, that’s enough. I’m overwhelmed just thinking about the different types of companies in the world.
Jeesh, I didn’t even include Vehicle Maintenance or Insurance Companies. I’m sure there are more types of contacts you have that I didn’t mention. No wonder it’s overwhelming!!!
This way, your system will work for YOU.
Enjoy getting reacquainted with everyone!